AmoghSpeaks

18 Jul 2011

Mexican Taco

Well, I wrote my 1st blog about 3 years ago and thereafter there is only 1 more post. I penned down many more thoughts, none of them complete though, and thus never got posted. Why? The simple & only reason being – laziness!

So why am I writing now? To post or not to post is not a question anymore. I’m in Guatemala, it’s a weekend, it’s been raining outside and honestly I can’t pass hours and hours on “facebook”.

I was in Mexico City the other day, for a machine trial at a potential customer’s plant. 6:30 am….. Never in my life had I been to work so early in the morning! Just got talking to the packaging Engineer, Manolo. He was very happy that I knew Spanish (actually it was he, who was trying hard to understand what I wanted to say) when I told him that Mexican food is quite popular in India. My favorites were “Nachos” & “Tacos”. Pat came reply, “that’s great! Do you want to try some? Outside the plant there is a lady (who stands with her van) who prepares amazing Tacos”.

Khane ki cheez hai aur main na bolu?.....Sawaal hi paida nahi hota.... Yes, the Tacos were really good.

Later, Manolo took me to meet the factory manager, Illagel Perez. Apart from work, he told Illagel that I liked Tacos and I also ate at the outside vendor’s place. Illagel was flabbergasted….looked at me in astonishment as if I was some weird guy. He asked me, “Are you alright? Is your stomach still ok?” Illagel then said, “no, I’ve met a lot of ‘Gringos’ (that is how American tourists are referred to in entire Latin America), they are very fussy about what to eat and where to eat and still they always complain of stomach upset.” I just said, “It’s all in the mind you know.” And we all had a hearty laugh.

Well, I didn’t tell him that I was a trekker (was?? No, no I still am) and was proud that I could eat anything anywhere. I was not a crazy American (or a similar sophisticated Desi version), overly (and unnecessarily if I may add) worried about hygiene and stuff! (You see, there comes the arrogance…!)

But guys, I must tell you, I had eaten Tacos earlier in India as well as in Colombia & Costa Rica. But maan, you must eat it in Mexico. They make it so well… (Obviously… if they don’t then who will??….look at me… so dumb I am!) And whenever you’ll have that chance please have it with their “salsa picante”…. Wow…I’m feeling hungry again!!!

4 Comments:

  • Hungry Man.. :)
    I told you you have to right more..
    Waiting for it from Ladakh tour..
    Finally..!!

    By Blogger KV, at 4:08 am  

  • Fantastic! Hope you have many of such nice experiences, and shrug off your laziness and pen them down on the blog! :)

    By Blogger Monsieur K, at 10:09 am  

  • Keep the blogs coming in :)

    -Namrata

    By Blogger Namrata, at 9:04 pm  

  • Niice :) lets try some Taco's here in India too :)

    By Blogger PRACHEE, at 2:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home